Preparing the new generation
Our Trustee Leadership Programme gives professionals of all ages the knowledge and confidence to be effective trustees, by helping them to understand the challenges charities face and how to find practical solutions. In particular, we aim to inspire young people to become trustees, as they can bring valuable new ideas and perspectives to the organization.
The sessions include expert insights from leading thinkers in the charity sector, and cover a wide range of topics including:
- The different types of charities
- Legal status and the duties of the Charities Commission
- Governance and strategic planning
- How to work with CEOs, setting objectives and managing conflicts of interest
- Financial management, including accounts and external audits
- Fund raising
- Working on sub-committees and with external advisers
- Identifying the motivation behind becoming a trustee, and practical steps to joining a board
Through these courses, we can also help introduce charities to individuals interested in working with them.
For people already involved in the UK charity sector, we run a broader educational programme and provide ongoing training. And as part of our wider service for charities, we regularly talk with entrepreneurs and philanthropic organisations, helping them with their investment decisions and advising on the most effective ways to donate.